Looking for Things to Do in Florida? Just Ask Florida Culture….
Florida Culture celebrates this month 5 years of writing about travel, food, and agriculture in the Sunshine State. What started as a fun blog with the goal to branch out into paying clients turned into a weekly Florida food/agriculture newspaper column for nearly 4 years, writing for Visit Florida (the state’s tourism bureau), and then articles for the Today Show website, The Huffington Post, Edible Sarasota, Dreamscapes Magazine, and more.
In honor of our fifth anniversary, here’s a roundup of some popular stories we’ve done, both on the blog and elsewhere.
We’re always looking for more travel and food writing work, so editors, please get in touch. Florida-lovers, if you want a daily dose of Florida, you can follow us on Instagram: @Florida_Culture
Thanks for the support, and keep reading!
- Stroll, Dream, and Dine on Anna Maria’s Pine Avenue
Here’s where to visit on Anna Maria Island’s popular Pine Avenue.
- Visiting Lake Placid. Lake Placid is a charming town in central Florida with a series of 50+ murals throughout the town. It makes for a great day trip if you’re near Sebring.
3. Road Trip on Rt. 27. A random idea while driving along Route 27 in central Florida blossomed into a three-part series done for Visit Florida and then The Huffington Post. The stories have great pictures as well (not taken by Florida Culture). If you like road trip ideas, we’ve got another one that should publish this year on Visit Florida following a different Central Florida road.
- Five Family-Friendly Places to Visit in Orlando. This recent addition to the mix, published on the Today Show website, covers fun places in Orlando beyond the theme parks.
- What’s Sprouting: Central Sarasota Farmers Market
The granddaddy of farmers’ markets in Sarasota is the downtown market, but the Central Sarasota market is a great addition to support the commitment to local eating that many in Sarasota have. This article appeared in Edible Sarasota Magazine.
- La Pulga: Bargains, Food, Music and a Cultural Experience.
For something a little different, check out the La Pulga Flea Market in Palmetto on Sundays, where you’ll get a taste (and sound and visual) of local Mexican culture. And you never know what flea market finds you’ll discover…
- Land Lovers: Geraldson Community Farm
Geraldson Community Farm is taking the lead in sustainable eating in the Bradenton and Sarasota area. It has its own farm market, participates in other local farm markets, hosts special dinners, and has a community supported agriculture program.
- Florida Wines See Spark in Popularity
Wine in Florida? Yes, indeed—and you’ll have fun visiting some of the states 20 or so wineries. Here’s why Florida wines have experienced a boost recently. This article appeared in the Central Florida Agri-Leader, where Florida Culture used to write a weekly column before the paper folded.
- Outdoor Murals Open Eyes at Miami’s Wynwood Walls
This more recent addition to the Florida Culture blog is pretty popular. It’s all about the trendy Wynwood art district in Miami. To find out the most popular article on Florida Culture, don’t miss item 10 below.
- Searching for Shark Teeth in Venice
One of our very first blog articles continues to be the most popular. There must be a lot of people out there searching for shark’s teeth. We’ll have to make it down there again soon.